Are you an experienced Electrical Engineer looking for your next opportunity? Our client, a leader in the energy sector in Ottawa, is looking to add an Electrical Engineer to their team for a 1 year contract. If you have 5+ years of experience in a power plant, substations or another industrial environment this may be just the job for you!
- Ensure safe and reliable operation of the plant by application of Engineering principles, practices and technical standards
- Provide technical support to daily operations and maintenance activities
- Accountable for the fleet’s compliance program in Ontario, Alberta and New Brunswick market rules (NERC, IESO, AESO, NBSO, etc.) and acting at the internal Reliability Standard Process Owner for LP Gas and Wind Fleet
- Create high level scoping documents including cost estimates and justifications for selected capital projects
- Produce technical scopes for large or complex overhaul, shutdown, or turnaround maintenance tasks for the electrical equipment
- Supply technical support during maintenance overhauls of gas turbines, steam turbines, boilers, and other large equipment. Document engineering requests during the outage and create outage reports for future reference
- Optimize equipment performance and costs through improved maintenance operating procedures
- Review designs of new proposed facilities or alterations to existing equipment to identify risks to performance that are inherent in the design concept using analytical tools such as HAZOP, RCFA, TapRootProvide a leadership role in identifying root causes of failure and provide sound solutions to equipment deficiencies
- Provide problem definitions and scoping studies on deficiencies and recommending solutions
- Work with Operations, Maintenance, Plant engineering and Engineering contractors to provide and be responsible for the following electrical distribution expertise and support:
- NERC and IESO and ESA compliance requirements (System Impact Assessments, Equipment Registration, ESA Planned Reviews and other documents and procedures)
- LV, MV, HV Electrical Distribution Systems in general; Protection, Specifying, Designing, Grounding, Code Compliance, Commissioning, Testing, Operating.
- Able to Run Electrical Fault and Load Flow and Arc Flash Studies on ETAP.
- Able to create equipment isolation and safety procedures.
- 230KV Ring Bus Protection Circuits, Synchronizing Circuits; specifying, designing installing, commissioning, operating, blocking maintaining and testing.
- (N6S & N7S) 230kV Transfer Trip Protection Circuits to Hydro One; specifying, designing installing, commissioning, operating, blocking maintaining and testing.
- Knowledge of Relay Protection schemes for Medium Voltage Feeders, Tie Lines, Generators, Transformers, Buses, specifying, designing, installing, commissioning, operating, blocking, maintaining and testing
- Able to create Operating, Maintenance, Commissioning, Testing and Safety Procedures on LV, MV and HV Electrical Distribution System and Equipment and Protection Systems
- Able to create electrical project scopes/drawings, equipment specifications, bid packages, etc
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Registered professional engineer (P. Eng.)
- 5+ years of Professional Engineering experience in a power plant, substations or another industrial environment.
- Multidisciplinary experience in different power plants and processes will be a definite asset
- Excellent relationship building, interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- High attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a high paced environment